Credit Card Terminal Set Up - First Data Clover Flex/Mini
These instructions are if you are using a First Data terminal with an iPad
If you are using a Windows device, you will need to install a Clover certificate first.
Step 1: Unbox and Set Up Plug in the Hardware
- Take the plastic off of the Clover terminal
- Plug the charger into the dock, plug the charger into the power outlet (preferably a power bar, one power slot is required)
- Insert printing paper into the Clover. Do this by popping open the back, take the paper out of the black wrapper, remove the tape from the roll of paper. Insert it as per the instructions on the inside of the Clover.
- Put the Clover on the dock
- Turn on the Clover by Pressing and holding the button on the right hand side
- Follow the on screen instructions in order to set up the device. Please note you will need the activation codes from your payment processor, without the activation codes you cannot complete the set up.
Step 2: Install and Trust Clover Certificates, You must use Safari for this.
To Install the Certificate:
Open Safari and type in the following URI: https://www.clover.com/v2/env_device_ca_certificate.crt
1) Go to iPad Settings -> General -> Profiles and Device Management (or Profile)
2) Tap "Clover Prod Terminal Server Root"
3) Tap "Install" in the top right
4) Tap "Install" again
5) Tap "Install" on the pop-up
6) Go to iPad Settings -> General -> About
7) Scroll to bottom to find "Certificate Trust Settings"
8) Toggle "Clover Prod Terminal Server Root" to enabled
Step 3: Verify that there is a Network Pay App on the Clover Terminal
- Look for the "Network Pay" app, it may be located on the second page. If you do not see the Network pay app, please install it.
- Note: you MUST be logged in to the Clover with admin permissions to be able to install the app from the app market. If you don't see the “More Tools” or “App Marketplace” app, it's because you are logged in as a user without sufficient permissions.
If there is a Network Pay App please do the following:
- Click on the menu button in the top left hand corner, once the menu expands press “Settings”
- Make sure that the server port says “5555”, if it doesn’t say this click on it and type in 5555.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, the IP address will be displayed here. Write it down.
- Press the back button at the bottom of the page to return to the previous screen. Once on the original screen of the Network Pay app press Start, the store: branding, name, or logo should appear.
Please note the above is the most important part of the process, if you do not press start on the Network Pay App the POS won't communicate with the POS.
If you cannot find the Network Pay App, please follow the steps below to download the app, then complete the above steps:
- Click on the More Tools icon
- In the search bar type in “Secure Network Pay Display”
- Download the app and complete the steps above.
To make the Network Pay App as accessible as possible, move it to the bottom of the screen so that it is one of the three large icons shown on the home page. This will help with future troubleshooting.
- Please press and hold any of the app icons on the menu screen.
- Move the Network Pay App to first icon in the list, click “Done” once you have changed the location of the icon. To move the icon simply hold and drag the item.
Step 4: Configure Clover to station in Nōwn
1.Open the Nōwn POS app.
2. Log in with your credentials. Press skip tutorial, if applicable, and go to the Setup section.
Note: if you do not see the Set Up tab it means you are logged in as a Station user. Please ensure you are using the admin account, this is the one whose account details you received when you signed up for Nōwn.
3. Tap on Set Up, go to Station Set Up.
4. Click on the pencil icon to edit POS stations.
Which station you link it to is very important. If you link a printer to POS 1 then you must log in as POS 1 when you use Nōwn, otherwise doing a transaction will trigger the wrong hardware.
5. Scroll down to the bottom of the Edit Station menu and enter the information as follows:
- Card Terminal IP Address - you found the IP address in Step 3
- Card Terminal Port - 5555
- Card Terminal Type - Clover
Remember to save changes at the bottom of your page!
5. Clover Setting Optimizations
In order to optimize your experience with the Clover there are a couple of settings that we strongly recommend that you set in order to process transactions at maximum speeds.
Please note both of these changes need to be done through your Clover Dashboard. For details on how to access this please contact First Data.
- Go to Payment Receipts
- Check off the “automatically print receipts” box
- Check off the “Skip receipt screen” box
- Make sure the “allow customers to opt in” box is not checked off
- Go to Setup
- Click Payments
- Check off the “Don’t require signature if transaction is under” box. Set the value at the end of that sentence to 0.01 (1 cent)