Hardware - A Hardware Must Read Before You Begin
Hardware setup can be overwhelming so it is important to know exactly how it works and which pieces interact.
Nōwn works best with the following components. In order to get the best results, you will need one of each of these components for every POS station:
- iPad stand
- Receipt printer
- QR scanner (Only necessary if you have: items with UPC codes, you use Nōwn gift cards, you use Nōwn loyalty on the mobile app)
- Electronic cash drawer
- A credit card terminal (purchased from your payment processor).
An exception does exist here and that is if you use a Windows based solution, that would not require an iPad and or a stand. Two Windows based solutions that we support are the: HP Engage Bundle and the Touch Systems POS Bundle. Please reach out to your sales rep for more information on these hardware bundles.
There are four possible hardware configurations that you can choose for your POS. The way each of them vary is in how you connect your printer and scanner:
- Configuration 1 - Ethernet Printer:
- Your printer is plugged in via ethernet (wired internet) and it communicates with the iPad by being on the same network. The scanner is connected to the iPad via a dongle.
- Configuration 2 - Bluetooth printer:
- You connect your printer to the iPad via bluetooth. The scanner is connected to the iPad via a dongle.
- Configuration 3 - All In Star-Bundle:
- You use an MPOP (cash drawer & printer combo) or an MC-Print 3 (printer) from Star Micronics that connects to your iPad via bluetooth. The scanner plugs into the printer.
- Configuration 4 - Windows Bundle:
- Scanner and printer connect via USB to the Windows Device. Please note we only support Windows 10 and up.
Note: Hardware should be ordered no less than three weeks prior to the date you are going live with Nōwn in order to give you adequate time to receive and set up the peripherals.
Already have hardware but don't know if it's compatible or not? Please see our Full List of Supported Hardware for more information on compatible hardware.
If you don't have hardware or are looking for new hardware please see the following article.