Credit Card Terminal - Clover Troubleshooting
All devices in your POS ecosystem (tablet, credit card terminal, printer) need to be on the same network. If any device is on a different network, the POS will not function correctly. Once you add the same IP for all devices to the POS the problem should be resolved. Please note that if the router was reset or factory restored then the printer (maybe) and terminal (most likely) will not be configured in the app properly.
Please follow each of the troubleshooting steps below until the issue is resolved. After you complete each step, try a test transaction to check if the problem is resolved.
Before you begin: Ensure that the Network Pay App is running, if it is not running you will not be able to do transactions.
- If the screen on the terminal is not showing the your store: branding, name, or logo, then the terminal is not in semi-integrated mode and will not work. Please follow the instructions below in order to put the terminal in "transaction mode" then try to do a transaction again.
To correct this please do the following:
- Go to the home screen of the Clover Terminal, you will see a grid of apps just like you would on an android phone.
- Look for the "Network Pay" app, it may be located on the second page. If you do not see the Network pay app, please install it.
- Note: you MUST be logged in to the Clover with admin permissions to be able to install the app from the app market. If you don't see the “More Tools” or “App Marketplace” app, it's because you are logged in as a user without sufficient permissions.
- Open this app, once it opens scroll down to the bottom of the page and tap "Start"
- If there is no “Start” button, please Press and hold the power on button on the right side of the terminal to restart it. Once the terminal restarts you may be asked to type in your PIN.
- Repeat the steps mentioned above.
1. Make sure that the right station is open.
- You need to make sure that you have opened the correct POS station. You can check what POS station you've opened by looking at the top of the home screen.
- If you're on a station other than the one that you usually open, please log out and then log in with the correct station login. If you open the wrong station the credit card terminal and printer won't work.
2. Check your internet connection
- Is there internet in your store? If the internet is down, contact your internet provider. Also check to see if the router is plugged in, often times it could be unplugged by accident.
- Is your iPad connected to the correct network and is there a connection? It is very important that your iPad does not connect to an alternate network. Further, you may be connected to the internet but there may be no connection, please open a browser on the iPad and go to https://www.speedtest.net/ to conduct an internet speed test. If the speed is 0 it means that there is no connection.
3. Check terminal configuration in the app
Step 1: Find the IP address of the Clover
- On the Clover device click on the Network Pay Display app. In order to get to this menu and exit transaction mode press and hold all four corners of the screen at the same time.
2. Tap on the menu button in the top left hand corner, once the menu expands press
3. Make sure that the server port says “5555”, if it doesn’t say this tap on it and type in 5555.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page, the IP address will be displayed here. Write it down.
5. Press the back button at the bottom of the page to return to the previous screen. Once on the original screen of the Network Pay app press start, your store: branding, name, or logo should appear.
Step 2: Ensure that the IP address in Nōwn matches the Clover Terminal.
1.Open the Nōwn POS app.
2. Log in using a manager log in.
3. Tap on Set Up
4. Then tap on the Stations section. This will show you a list of stations at the top of the page. Hold the cursor over any part of the a that shows station information. A pencil icon will appear to the right of the screen, tap on the icon
Scroll down to the bottom of the Edit station menu and make sure the information here matches exactly what you saw in the Clover settings, if it does not change it so that they are the same:
- Card Terminal IP Address - Make sure the IP address is an exact match
- Card Terminal Port - 5555 - Make sure that this is the same port number shown on the clover
- Card Terminal Type - Clover
Remember to save changes at the bottom of your page!
4. Confirming the iPad and Clover Networks Match.
- Open the settings of your iPad and tap on Wi-Fi. Tap on the”i” with a small blue circle around it that is located beside the network you’re connected to view more information about the network.
- Check to see if the IP address before the last period matches up with the IP of the terminal. Example: 192.168.1.153 vs 192.168.1.25 and 10.0.1.2 vs 10.0.1.4. If not, this means that you are not on the right wifi network. If you don’t know the name of your wifi or your wifi is not set up, please refer to your router instructions or contact your internet service provider.